The Schoolwide Enrichment Model (SEM, Renzulli, 1977; Renzulli & Reis, 1985, 1997, 2014) is widely implemented as a both an enrichment program used with academically gifted and talented students and as a magnet theme/enrichment approach for all students. The theme of the SEM is to develop the strengths and talents of all students.
For recent articles and presentations on the SEM, please visit Schoolwide Enrichment Model Articles & Presentations.
The SEM provides enriched learning experiences and higher learning standards for all children through three goals:
- developing talents in all children,
- providing a broad range of advanced-level enrichment experiences for all students, and
- providing advanced follow-up opportunities for young people based on their strengths and interests.
The SEM focuses on enrichment for all students through high levels of engagement and the use of enjoyable and challenging learning experiences that are constructed around students’ interests, learning styles, and preferred modes of expression. For current resources on the SEM, please visit SEM Third Edition Resources and Forms.
Separate studies on the SEM have demonstrated its effectiveness in schools with widely differing socioeconomic levels and patterns of program organization. Information about this research is provided in Schoolwide Enrichment Model Research Studies.
The SEM has been implemented in over 4,000 schools across the country and programs using this approach have been widely implemented internationally in Europe, Asia, South and Central America. To learn how to visit an SEM school, please check the SEM Directory Visitation Site.
The most recent research on the SEM has focused on the application of instructional communication technology to enrichment learning and teaching. Information about this Internet based application of the SEM can be found at RenzulliLearning. Individual computer generated student profiles are used as the basis for matching personalized resources from a data bank that contains thousands of carefully selected enrichment resources. These resources and students' electronic portfolios can be used for curriculum planning, differentiating instruction, and individual and small group project based learning.
Don't forget to check out our extensive information on SEM-Reading.
For support on how to implement an SEM school or information on professional development on the SEM, please visit our Schoolwide Enrichment Model Outreach page or download our one-page consulting information sheet.
We also offer a free online SEM course several times during the year.
For some brief videos on the SEM, please visit Schoolwide Enrichment Model Movies.
Additional videos on the Schoolwide Enrichment Model
- Joseph S. Renzulli – Enjoyment, Engagement and Enthusiasm
- 60 Seconds with Joseph S. Renzulli
- Learning, Leading, and Lighting the Way: Applying the Pedagogy of Gifted Education to Total School Improvement [An Overview of Schoolwide Enrichment Model]
- Renzulli Academy VIDEO.mp4
- An Overview of the SEM—A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships.mp4
- A Celebration of Teaching and Learning at South Grove Elementary School.mov
- SEM Video Series by Joe and Sally