Frequently Asked Questions
Presentations & Publications
SEM-R and Talented Readers
There are three major features of Phase 2:
- Students engage in challenging independent reading. Students should be reading self-selected books of interest that are at least 1 to 1.5 reading levels above their current reading level. The amount of time spent in Phase 2 should increase over time, based on student readiness and self-regulation, until students are reading independently about 35-45 minutes per day.
- Students use self-regulation strategies to monitor their reading and behavior. They may use bookmarks to ask themselves questions, sticky notes to mark places in the book they will later discuss in conferences, signaling strategies to let the teacher know if they need help, and their log to keep track of their reading from day to day.
- Teachers conduct individualized conferences to ask students questions and invite discussion; model and teach reading strategies; and assess student fluency, comprehension, and higher level skills. It is important for every student, including high-ability readers, to participate in the conferences on a regular basis.
During an individual conference, a teacher asks the student to share information about the book, and then to read a short section aloud. The teacher engages the student in a discussion about the book, asking questions such as those on the bookmarks, questions that prompt specific reading strategies, or questions specific to the actual book. The teacher uses the student’s oral reading and the discussion to determine whether the book is appropriately challenging, too easy, or too difficult for the student.
At the end of a conference, the teacher gives the student specific strategies, goals, or questions to work on during independent reading over the next several days until that student’s next conference.
- Teacher log (PDF | Word)
- Elementary school student log (PDF | Word)
- Elementary school bookmarks
- Middle school student log (PDF | Word)
- Middle school bookmarks
- Middle school bookmarks (reading strategies)
- Middle school writing prompts (PDF | Word)
- Emoticon cards
- Reading strategies poster
- Self-regulation poster
- SIR rules poster
- Conference planning document (PDF | Word)
- DRAFT Conference rubrics (Rubric 1 | Rubric 2)