Successful SEM-R implementation relies on shared expectations and responsibility
among the teacher and students. Here are a few tips on introducing SEM-R
to your class and clarifying expectations
- Take a class period to introduce each of the Phases to your students. Explain the purpose and procedures, and discuss expectations for behavior and strategies students may use for self-regulation. Remember to phrase expectations positively and emphasize the SEM-R focus on developing reading enjoyment!
- Take time to introduce the details of the student log and expectations for completing it. Show the sample pages, and consider showing an example of a poorly completed student log.
- Use Book Hook time to introduce and generate excitement about the classroom library. Include expectations for how to browse for new books, how to keep the library organized, etc.
- Draw attention to the posters as reminders for SEM-R procedures and expectations.
- Remember to use your teacher log to respond to the study expectations and to document your efforts.