〉〉 About Project M²
〉〉 Grade Two
〉〉 Grade One
Project M² built upon the success of Project M³: Mentoring Mathematical Minds, a grade 3-6 advanced curriculum study. Studies investigating this curriculum found statistically significant gains on open-response, criterion-referenced, and standardized tests. The Project M² units focused on “in-depth” mathematics using research-based practices and standards in mathematics education and early childhood education. There is a geometry and measurement unit at each of the three levels, K, Level 1 and Level 2. In addition there are number units at Levels 1 and 2. The Project M² units have the Standards for Mathematical Practice as their core philosophy. Students think and act like practicing mathematicians.
- Students make sense of problems and persevere in problem solving.
- Students construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Students model with mathematics to solve real-world problems.
- Students use appropriate tools strategically.
- Students attend to precision by communicating with appropriate mathematical vocabulary.
Each one of the eight units:
- Engages students in critical and creative thinking and problem solving;
- Encourages students to communicate verbally and in writing like practicing mathematicians;
- Is differentiated to meet the needs of all students.